The Week Ahead
One More Request
I am so sorry for the multiple e-mails. In addition to the million other requests I sent earlier, could each of you send me an e-mail letting me know your availability for a potential game on Monday June 5th? I promise we will sort out this scheduling mess soon but right now we are just trying to understand options so we can respond to requests from other coaches. Thanks!
Important -- Please Update Availability for Rest of Season
Great game last night. The girls swung the bats really well and made so many great plays on defense. I thought that was our best defensive performance of the season so far.
Sorry for the long note but we wanted to pass along a bunch of scheduling items:
1. June 3rd Game with Senators -- we are aware that a number of players on both teams may have conflicts on June 3rd. Please update your availability in Crossbar for this game ASAP so we can evaluate options.
2. June 4th Joint Practice -- one potential option for our makeup with the Phillies might be to try to convert our joint practice into an actual makeup game. We have not discussed this with the Phillies yet but please update your availability for June 4th ASAP.
3. June 6th v. Rangers -- the league is aware of the Middle School concert conflict but it does not appear there are many good alternatives for rescheduling those games. There is a slight possibility the game may start 30 minutes early which might allow some 6th graders to play a few innings if they so choose. Please update your availability for June 6th ASAP (if you are attending the concert please respond with a "No" even if you might try to play a couple innings).
4. Practice -- we have an unusually long break before our next game (we don't play again until a week from Saturday). In the meantime, we will hunt around for field availability for practice to try to keep everybody fresh.
Marlins Update -- No Game Today
I just spoke to the coach of the Phillies and we have agreed to postpone this afternoon's game due to the rain. We will try to find a mutually agreeable date and time for a makeup game and will keep you posted.
There are two other items I wanted to mention:
1. As a heads up, we will still be having practice with the Phillies tomorrow but it will be shortened. We will start at 2:30 and run to 3:30.
2. We are aware that there may be some conflicts on June 6th (we have a game at 6:00 pm) for some of our 6th graders due to the Middle School concert. This will affect almost every team. If your daughter will be attending the concert that night, can you please send a note to either me or Cindy to let us know?
I hope you are having a good week! Another great game Tuesday night - I love how each player contributes in every game to help the team. They are a fun group to have on the bench as well. :)
1. We are light on players for our 3 pm game on Saturday at Kelly Field. If you have not updated availability please do so as we might need to call up some players from the sophomore division.
2. We have a joint practice scheduled on Sunday with the Phillies at 2pm at Kelly Field. Unfortunately neither Glenn nor Jason are available at that time, but the Phillies coaches (Jake, Nary and Pam) have graciously agreed to work with our girls. They will probably do something similar to our last joint practice with them - some drills followed by a short scrimmage. It should be a good practice if your daughter is able to make it.
Thanks and see you soon!
It's hard to believe it but the season is half over. We're off to a nice start. Most importantly, every player is working hard and getting better and better each game.
We had a fantastic turnout for practice last Friday night. Every player got one on one time in the batting cage. We also worked on situational defense, baserunning, catching popups and pitching. Saturday's game was a crazy one but somehow the girls managed to comeback in the last inning and win yet another close game. They never give up!
Some quick notes:
1. We play the Angels Tuesday night at 6:00 at Cunningham. Please arrive at 5:30 for warmups.
2. We play the first place Phillies next Saturday.
3. We are also scheduled to have a joint practice on Sunday. We are aware there are some conflicts, mostly with soccer makeup/pre-pone games. We'll confirm status for Sunday during the week. Stay tuned.
4. When you get a chance, please update status for this week's events on Crossbar.
5. Happy Mother's Day to all the Moms!
No Game Tonight
All fields are closed due to weather so unfortunately no game tonight. We will let you know when it gets rescheduled.
We have practice on Sunday at 2pm at Kelly Field with the Phillies and our next game as of now is next Tuesday at 6pm at Cunningham Park. Please update availability when you are able to.
We have a small group tonight but are looking forward to practice at Andrews Field at 6pm. We will be in the “deep outfield” of the softball field as there is a game scheduled on the diamond. We will end at 7:15 so everyone can get home for the Bruins!
Cindy and Glenn
Sorry for the long e-mail. Tough loss Tuesday night to a very strong team but there were a lot of positive takeaways:
1. We swung the bats very well. Give them credit for playing great defense.
2. Our pitching improved from Game 1. We cut down the number of walks allowed and forced the other team to swing the bat and put the ball in play.
3. Our baserunning was solid. In particular, we avoided a number of potential double plays on balls caught in the air with "heads up" baserunning.
4. Most importantly, even in the later innings, the girls were cheering for each other and very supportive in the dugout. This was great to see..
We need to work on our defense and we will. There's no substitute for repetitions (the girls should play catch every chance they get) but every player can help our defense right away by:
1. Being positioned properly and "softball ready" before every pitch.
2. Knowing before each pitch what they will do if the ball is hit to them.
3. Knowing before each pitch what their job is if the ball is not hit to them (cover a base, back up another player, etc.).
4. Aggressively pursuing any ball hit in their general area (i.e., don't expect someone else to field it).
We have practice scheduled for tomorrow night @ Andrews at 6:00 pm. If you haven't done so, please indicate your availability on Crossbar. We're happy to have a small practice but want to make sure we have critical mass. We'll make a final decision tonight based on numbers.
Our next game is Saturday @ 5:00 pm at Kelly field. Please indicate your availability and arrive 20-30 minutes before the game for warm-ups.
Great First Game
Fantastic first game yesterday! We know the girls were a bit nervous but it was great to see them not get discouraged after our slow start. They never gave up and every single player contributed to the comeback win. A couple quick items/reminders:
1. Next game -- our next game is Tuesday night at 6:00 at the high school. Please arrive 20-30 minutes before game time. The best place to warm up is usually beyond the outfield near the cages so look for us there.
2. Lost and found -- after yesterday's game, a gray sweatshirt that says Lobster Pot and a white metal water bottle with a sticker on it were left on our bench. I'll bring them on Tuesday if anyone wants to claim them.
3. Friday practice -- We'd like to sneak in a practice this week but field availability is pretty limited. We have put in a request to practice at Andrews Park on Friday evening at 6:00. Hopefully, that will work out.
Go Bruins! Go Celtics!
Arrival Time for Game Saturday
Please arrive 30 minutes before our game tomorrow so we can get everyone organized before the first game. Going forward please plan to arrive no later than 20 minutes before each game per the league’s request.
Upcoming Marlins Events
Hi Everyone -- just a few quick updates as the season gets started:
1. Joint Practice (w/ Angels) -- today at Kelly Field 3:00-4:30.
2. Opening Day Parade -- tomorrow at 12:00. Please wear your jersey so we can find each other. I will be there but may be coming in hot from soccer.
According to the league "We will be marching with Milton American Baseball from the corner of Edge Hill Road and Reservation Road at 12:00pm. We will march down Edge Hill Road to Cunningham Park and enter the field through the parking lot."
3. First Game -- tomorrow 5:00 PM, at Cunningham v. Rockies -- if you haven't updated your availability on Crossbar, please do so.
4. Second Game -- Tuesday 6:00 PM, at Gio Field v. White Sox -- please indicate your availability on Crossbar.
5. Joint Practices with Phillies -- looking forward, we have also scheduled joint practices with the Phillies on 3 different Sunday afternoons (5/7, 5/21, 6/4) at 2:00 PM at Kelly Field.
Looking forward to getting the season started!
For those not at practice last night, if you would like to pick up a jersey and socks, I will leave them outside our mud room door at 27 Allerton Road during the day today (Tues.), Wed. and Thurs. There are 3 AS and 3 AM jerseys left. The socks are all the same size.
If you do come by, please mark down the number you took next to your daughters name on the sheet in the crate.
We will be away for vacation beginning this Friday but will return in time for the practice on 4/21 and can distribute any remaining jerseys then.
Junior Marlins Information
I hope that you all had a nice weekend. We had a great turnout for our first practice on Friday - thanks to those who were able to make it. We are looking forward to a great season with a great group of players and families! Below is some information we wanted to pass along:
Milton Softball has recently made a change to Crossbar for all league platform management. If you have not downloaded the Crossbar App, we encourage you to do so. Please make sure your personal information is correct and that you have turned on all notifications so that you receive all messages from the league and team staff. Most importantly, we would really like everyone to utilize the availability function for team practices and especially games. This makes it a lot easier to determine if we have enough players and when we might need to ask for guest players or reschedule an event. It also helps the coaches prepare lineups and fielding assignments for each game in advance. Thank you for your help with this!
Practices and Games
We have practice tonight at 6:15 at Milton Academy (the softball field is on Randolph Ave. near the pool). Practice will go until 7:15-7:30 as it will be getting dark then. We have another practice scheduled for Friday, April 21 from 3:00 - 4:30 at Kelly Field. We are also working on scheduling some additional joint practices with the Junior Phillies on Sunday afternoons to allow for some scrimmages in between our games. We will keep everyone updated on additions to the practice schedule.
All games have been entered into the schedule by the league at this time. Our first game is on Opening Day, Saturday, April 22 at 5:00 pm at Cunningham Park. The Opening Day Parade begins at noon that day with a ceremony and activities to follow. We will be in touch again with more information on that as we receive it.
Team Equipment and Jerseys
All players are required to wear face masks when playing in the infield. We have a few masks for the team but most people do prefer to have their own. Similarly, each player is required to wear a helmet when batting and running the bases. We also have some helmets for the team but again, you might prefer to have your own as well. We have catching gear for the team. No metal cleats are allowed for our games - please make sure that your daughter wears rubber cleats or sneakers. Please let us know if you have any questions about equipment.
We have the team jerseys and will begin distributing them to players at practice tonight and again on the 21st before Opening Day. The jerseys are mostly Adult Medium with a few Adult Smalls and even fewer Adult Larges. We understand that some of the girls are attached to certain numbers, but do want to make sure that everyone gets the right size for them. We ask that the players keep that in mind when getting their jerseys.
We are still looking for additional help if anyone is interested. Please let us know - it doesn’t have to be a big commitment, and we appreciate any time you can give.
Thank you for reading this long message! Please reach out with any questions, concerns, etc. Our ultimate goal is for the girls to have fun and get better at softball in the process.
See you soon,
Glenn, Jason, and Cindy
Practice Monday 4/10
In addition to the practice today (Friday 4/7) at 3:30 at Kelly Field mentioned by Glenn in his message, we were also able to secure practice time on Monday, 4/10 at the Milton Academy softball field on Randolph Ave at 6:15 pm. The field is available until 8, but given current sunset times we will probably end at 7:15-7:30.
Both of these practice times are on the team schedule on the Milton Softball website and Crossbar App.
Glenn will be in touch again with more details about the season, but we are looking forward to getting started!
This is just a very quick note to welcome all of you to the Junior Sinclaw Marlins. Jason Sullivan and I will be serving as head coaches and my wife, Cindy, will be helping us out keeping the book. Given everyone's busy schedules in the Spring, we could use as much help as possible so if anyone else would like to volunteer to help out (no experience necessary) please let me know. We would love to have you!
I will be sending out a more detailed e-mail soon but, in the meantime, I wanted to let everyone know that we have been invited to join another team's practice tomorrow (Friday) at 3:30 at Kelly Field. I recognize this is extremely short notice and that it is a long weekend, so no pressure at all. That said, if you are around and would like to shake off the winter rust, please come on by. I will be there with my daughter Emily.
Have a great weekend.
Glenn Deegan9 hours ago
I hope everyone had a great Memorial Day Weekend. A few updates for this week:
1. Practice on 5/30 -- we have practice tomorrow night at 5:00 pm at the Cunningham cages/outfield.
2. Game on 6/3 -- Our next game is Saturday, 6/3 at 3:00 pm at Cunningham. The opposing team did initially ask to move this game to 6/5 but as of right now it is still on for 6/3 as originally scheduled.
3. Makeup Game on 6/4 -- We also have a makeup game against the Phillies on 6/4 at 2:00 pm at Kelly Field (still shows as a joint practice on Crossbar.
4. All-Star Game on 6/3 -- Ella, Emily and Mya will be representing the Marlins at the All-Star Game next Saturday, 6/3 at Gio Field at 7:30. Congratulations!